Chances are, you’ve never heard of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ), which connects your jaw to your skull. Yet inflammation in your TMJ can result in a TMJ disorder, a condition that makes it painful to use your jaw. If your jaw aches all the time, ask us if TMJ treatment in Chattanooga can relieve your pain.Doctor Robert Gallien on treatments for TMJ Disorder Read Transcript
People come in with chronic jaw pain, and typically what they describe to us is the pain down through here, pain in their ears, pain in their neck, headaches. They wake up in pain, their teeth hurt, so we have a whole complement of solutions to help them out.
We like to start with something conservative such as a night guard or some sort of occlusal device that helps separate their teeth, and it keeps them so where they don't clench and grind so much. We can also go as good as putting (inaudible) within the muscles, which just helps them relax.
- Uses a custom-made mouthguard to relieve pressure on your jaw
- Stops you from grinding your teeth, a habit that aggravates TMJ pain
- Can further relieve pressure with safe injectable therapy that relaxes your facial muscles
- Prevents pain from spreading from your jaw to other areas of your face, neck, and shoulders
- Makes it easy for you to open and close your mouth again
- Relieves headaches and other unpleasant TMJ symptoms
If you think you may have a TMJ disorder, call us today at 423-454-2181.
Benefit From Two Types of TMJ Treatment
Dr. Gallien or Dr. Eudaly can fit you for a custom mouthguard that relieves pressure on your jaw and prevents you from clenching or grinding your teeth, two habits that aggravate TMJ pain. Since many people grind their teeth in their sleep, we may suggest wearing a mouthguard at night and/or at other times. At many dental practices, a mouthguard is your only option. To provide additional relief, we can also treat you with an injectable muscle relaxant that relieves pressure on your jaw.
Don’t Suffer With Headaches & Other TMJ Symptoms
TMJ disorders impact your jaw, but they can affect other areas of your body too. See us for a TMJ assessment if you are experiencing these symptoms:
- Swollen face, especially around your jaw
- Frequent headaches or migraines
- Unexplained earaches
- Pain in neck and/or shoulders
Jaw pain could be a sign you need TMJ treatment in Chattanooga. Call 423-454-2181 for an appointment today. Our office is conveniently located at 4618 Highway 58 in ZIP code 37416.